Catania Airport Information
Catania city located on the eastern coast of Sicily at the foot of Mount Etna, the biggest volcano in Europe. It is the second largest city in Sicily with the metropolitan area reaching one million inhabitants, a major transport hub, economic centre and a university city where you will enjoy a busy downtown and an active nightlife. Catania is also well known for its particular baroque architecture and urban design (the downtown area is a World Heritage Site, along with all the Val di Noto), consequences of the great earthquake of 1693 after which the city had to be rebuilt, like most of eastern Sicily.
Places to visit
- The baroque Piazza del Duomo is attractive, lively and contains the Elephant Fountain - the symbol of the city and the entrance to the elegant via Etnea, the main shopping street.
- The adjacent Norman Cathedral (Duomo) is imposing and worth a visit
- The food and fish markets just below the Piazza del Duomo are a lively and colourful place to visit. This fish market is the busiest and most exotic of all over Sicily and has been described by the British TV chef Rick Stein as the best fish market in the world. Monday to Saturday morning only.
- Via Etnea - the main shopping avenue, running North from the Piazza del Duomo has most of the city's imposing building and is busy throughout the day and evening. Lots of churches. This road is the equivalent of Las Ramblas in Barcellona, so in the evenings the local people put on their sunday clothes and walk at a relaxed pace along this avenue.
- Piazza Stesicoro, the original centre containing ruins of the Roman Amphitheatre. It is also the entrance to the main market (Mercato de la Fiera) which is worth a visit. Additionally it is one of the main bus hubs.
- Teatro Massimo, a 19th century opera house in Piazza Teatro, which is the main meeting for the local young people. So its neighbourhood is very lively and busy by night.
- Taormina, a world famous city being both beautiful and the quintessential medieval town on a mountain top.
© 2010 Catania International Airport Vincenzo Bellini
Catania Airport Contact
Catania interational Airport, Sicily Island, 95121, ITALY
Tel: +39 0957 239 111 Fax: +39 0957 239 121
Catania Airport Codes
IATA airport code: CTA
ICAO airport code: LICC
Airport Location Map / Catania info